The mission of Regional School District 13, a community that celebrates learning, honors tradition and embraces change, is to ensure that all students will be engaged and ethical lifelong learners and citizens who will thrive, excel, and contribute in an ever-changing, interdependent world by providing challenging, diverse, and nurturing experiences that empower each student to succeed through meaningful partnership with family and community.
Statement of Beliefs
We believe that -
- Every human being has inherent worth.
- Everyone wants to succeed and can be a successful learner.
- Meaningful learning requires the active involvement and commitment of the learner.
- Individuals are responsible for their actions.
- Each individual bears responsibility for the welfare of others.
- Diversity enriches a society and its individuals.
- Change demands that learning continue throughout one's life.
- Growth, innovation and creativity require the willingness to take risks.
- The level of expectation drives the level of achievement.
- Achievement builds self-worth; self-worth promotes achievement.
- Education and learning are the shared responsibility of the students, the family, the school and the community.
- The support and involvement of the community are critical to the quality of the schools.
- People are the most important resource in achieving educational excellence.
- The future of a just and democratic society depends on an educated citizenry.
As we strive to achieve our mission, we will live within the following guidelines:
- We will not tolerate behavior that demeans the human dignity and worth of anyone.
- We will expect all members of our learning community to model and uphold our Core Ethical Values.
- We will not accept failure as final for any student.
- No new program or service will be accepted unless it is consistent with the Strategic Plan, benefits clearly exceed costs, and provisions are made for staff development and program evaluation.
- No program or service will be retained unless benefits justify costs and it continues to make positive contributions to the mission.
- All curricula will reflect diverse perspectives, integrate technology, and embed lifelong learning skills.
- We will practice the principles of participatory decision-making at all levels of the organization.
- Site-based decisions must always be consistent with the Strategic Plan.
- We will expect high performance from students and staff.
- Student performance on the CAPT and CMT will always be in the top 20% in our District Reference Group (DRG).
We will continue to develop and implement plans to connect all students to their schools in meaningful partnership with family and community in order to best achieve our mission.
- Establish a program to provide ongoing support to integrate new or returning students and families.
- Expand opportunities for adult, cross-grade and peer mentoring.
- Provide more diverse social and team-building experiences.
- Provide ongoing professional development in establishing practices that promote student connectedness.
- Increase student access to school activities.
- Celebrate the broad variety of student involvement in school and community activities.
We will collect and use data, implement effective instructional strategies, and provide appropriate interventions to ensure that students achieve academic and behavioral benchmarks.
- Implement data teams to guide instruction and improve student learning.
- Develop differentiated District guidelines for the implementation of Common Formative Assessments that meet State and Federal guidelines but also reflect best instructional practice.
- Implement Common Formative Assessments to guide instruction and improve student learning.
- Implement research-based effective teaching strategies on a phase-in basis.
- Implement research-based effective behavioral intervention strategies.
- Expand the use of differentiated instruction and differentiated assessment.
- Implement curriculum mapping for the entire curricular program on a phase-in basis.
We will develop and implement effective communication and marketing plans to improve the understanding, appreciation and support of all stakeholders for our quality instructional programs.
- Promote the active involvement of all stakeholders in District 13 activities.
- Implement a marketing template throughout all levels of the organization.
- Redesign the district and school websites to make them timely, informative, user-friendly and interactive.
- Communicate the positive aspects of the Contemporary and Integrated Day programs to all stakeholders.
We will develop means to assess student progress on the lifelong learning standards and our Core Ethical Values from K-12.
- Clarify the Productive Habits of Mind for staff and students.
- Communicate the lifelong learning standards throughout the District 13 community.
- Establish and implement appropriate grade level benchmarks, rubrics, and evidence for measuring student progress toward lifelong learning and Core Ethical Values.
- Design and implement a process for students at all levels to self-assess their progress on lifelong learning and Core Ethical Values.
We will develop and implement plans to capitalize on changes in technology to achieve our mission and objectives.
- Secure alternative means for increasing technology funding and resources.
- Encourage and support a culture of innovation in the use of technology by teachers.
- Allow safe access to our network and resources by students and staff at all times.
- Ensure that every employee demonstrates the technology competencies needed to capitalize on changing technology.
The following objectives are long-term end results, which, if accomplished, will bring us closer to achieving our mission.
- All students will meet or exceed District academic benchmarks.
- All students will meet or exceed District lifelong learning standards.
- All students will demonstrate consistent practice of our Core Ethical Values of respect, responsibility, honesty, kindness, and courage.