The Board of Education understands that not all of its work can be accomplished at regularly scheduled meetings of the entire Board and that in order to dedicate the necessary time, expertise and focus on specific issues, it is necessary to utilize committees of the Board.
The Board of Education has four standing committees. These committees are: Student Achievement, Educational Resources, Policy and Human Resources. Each committee is comprised of five members of the Board of Education.
Student Achievement Committee: The focus of the Student Achievement Committee is to review and monitor appropriate metrics to evaluate student achievement and to pursue continuous improvement in overall District academic performance. In addition the committee shall ensure that adequate time and resources are allocated for the purpose of staff professional development. The responsibilities of this committee include:
1. Working with the administration on development, implementation and maintenance of appropriate metrics for
all areas of District, school and student performance.
2. Working with the administration on the development, implementation and maintenance of a program for a
3. Participating in the review, evaluation and development of the District's curriculum.
4. Ensuring that adequate resources are budgeted and appropriate training is provided for staff professional
development, particularly with regard to Common Core State Standards and SEED.
5. Working with the Superintendent of Schools to schedule professional development time for staff as appropriate.
Educational Resources Committee: The focus of the Educational Resources Committee is to obtain and manage the resources that are needed to increase the District's capacity to lead, teach and learn. The responsibilities of this committee include:
1. Monitoring of metrics to ensure that District resources are utilized effectively, efficiently and equitably to improve
2. Working with the Superintendent of Schools and the Business Manager regarding the development of the
District's annual budget.
3. Reviewing annual capital expenditures and the utilization of the District capital reserve including balances
encumbered for future capital projects.
4. Monitoring community demographic information and facility usage to ensure a safe and optimal learning
5. Monitoring District pension assets, accrued liabilities and funding ratios.
6. Working with Administration to develop contract language standards and payment/compensation ranges for new
or existing contracts, other than union contracts, in accordance with Board Policy #3324.
Policy Committee: The focus of the Policy Committee is to ensure that all Board of Education policies and by-laws are current, relevant and readily available to all members of the Board and Community. The responsibilities of the Policy Committee include:
1. Working with the Superintendent of Schools to develop changes to Board policies as necessitated changes
in state and federal regulation, as mandated by the State Board of Education or as necessitated by
changes within the District.
2. Working with the Superintendent of Schools to ensure that all by-laws are current, relevant and consistent
with existing Board structure and operations.
3. Ensuring that all policy and by-law changes proposed by the Policy Committee are reviewed and then voted
upon by the full Board of Education on a timely basis at a duly posted meeting of the Board of Education.
4. Ensuring that an accurate and timely electronic Policy Manual, including all by-laws, is posted on the
RSD13 website and available to all members of the public.
5. Developing and maintaining a Board Member Handbook as well as conducting new member orientation
meetings as appropriate.
Human Resources Committee: The focus of the Human Resources Committee is to optimize the effectiveness of human resources employed by the Board of Education. The responsibilities of the Human Resources Committee include:
1. Working with the Superintendent of Schools and key administrators to maintain an effective organization
structure that is responsive to the current needs of the District and consistent with budgeted funding levels.
2. Working with the Superintendent of Schools to ensure that staff compensation levels are appropriate across
different levels within the District, fall within the approved operating budget, and are competitive with local
school districts including, but not limited to school districts in the same DRG (District Reference Group).
3. Working with the Superintendent to ensure the development and execution of procedures for annual staff
reviews and ensuring the development of appropriate procedures to address any noted development
opportunities or deficiencies.
4. Working with the Superintendent of Schools and Business Manager to review major health insurance plan
changes as may become necessary from time to time and make appropriate recommendations to the full
Board of Education at a duly posted meeting of the Board of Education.
Utilization Study Committee: The Utilization Study Ad Hoc Committee will work with the administration to provide direction and to monitor progress by the Utilization Study Firm hired by the Board of Education. The committee will ensure frequent communication to the Board and the community at large regarding this project. The Committee Chair will schedule meetings as appropriate throughout the life of the study.
|July 1||Human Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda
|July 20||Utilization Committee||Supt. Office||Agenda
|August 6||Utilization Committee||Supt. Office||Agenda
|August 11||ERC||Supt. Office||Agenda
|August 11||Building Committee||Supt. Office||Agenda
|August 20||Utilization Committee||Supt. Office||Agenda
|August 25||Educational Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda
|September 2||Student Achievement||Supt. Office||Agenda
|September 3||Educational Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 3||Utilization Committee||Supt. Office||Agenda
|October 13||Educational Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 28||Student Achievement||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 4||Student Achievement||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 17||Educational Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 2||Student Achievement||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 8||Educational Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 12||Educational Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 30||Student Achievement||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 10||Educational Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 18||Student Achievement||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 7||Educational Resources||Supt. Office||Agenda||Minutes|